Ultraviolet Light (UV) has been used in water treatment for over 100 years. In the past, the main purpose of using UV was to disinfect drinking water and make it safe to consume. UV has also been used to disinfect wastewater, desalinate water, and purify water for swimming pools and spas.
Today, UV is still used for these same purposes. However, it is also being used more and more to kill bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms in the air. This is especially important in hospitals, schools, and other public places where people are at a higher risk of contracting respiratory diseases.
There are many uses and benefits of using UV lighting, including:
- Kills bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms – UV light has been shown to be effective at killing a variety of bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms. This includes methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), influenza, and human papillomavirus (HPV).
- Reduces the spread of disease – By reducing the number of bacteria and viruses in the air, UV lighting can help to reduce the spread of respiratory diseases. This is because these microorganisms are often spread through the air when people cough or sneeze.
- Improves indoor air quality – UV lighting can help to remove pollutants from the air, such as dust, mold spores, and pet dander. This can improve the indoor air quality in homes, schools, and other public places. UV Light air purification in Boise and other cities in Idaho are becoming increasingly popular. You can find more information about these systems online and in stores.
- Helps to save energy – UV lighting can help to reduce the amount of energy needed to heat and cool buildings. This is because UV lighting can help to regulate the temperature in a space by absorbing heat from the sun.
- Increases plant growth – UV light can help to increase plant growth by stimulating photosynthesis. This can be beneficial for greenhouse growers and farmers. If you are interested in using UV lighting to increase plant growth, you inquire about special UV light bulbs that are designed for this purpose.
- Enhances security – UV lighting can be used to enhance security by making it easier to see in low-light conditions. This can be helpful for businesses and homes that want to increase their security.
- Reduces the risk of fire – UV lighting can help to reduce the risk of fire by making it easier to see in smoke-filled rooms. This can be beneficial for businesses and homes that are at a higher risk of fire.
- Improves visibility – UV lighting can improve visibility in foggy or dark conditions. This can be helpful for drivers, pilots, and boaters who need to be able to see in these conditions.
- Helps to control pests – UV light can help to control pests by killing or repelling them. This can be helpful for businesses and homes that are infested with pests.
- Reduces greenhouse gases – UV lighting can help to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere. This is because UV light can break down these gases into simpler molecules that are not harmful to the environment.
The Bottom Line
UV light is used and beneficial in many ways. Besides all of the above uses of UV, the three primary health benefits of UV exposure are the production of vitamin D, improvement in mood, and increased energy.
But of course, not everything is without risk. Overexposure to UV lighting increases the risk of potentially blinding eye diseases. Overexposure to UV radiation can also lead to serious health issues, including cancer.